Skip to main content

Snow Fungus, Longan, Goji Berry & Red Date Dessert For Lungs & Liver

Just last week I made this dessert because I was rummaging in my kitchen and found some snow fungus. This is a classic dessert that any Cantonese would know. I was just surprised at myself that I haven't made this dessert in a long time. Maybe because I didn't have the key ingredient - snow fungus - at hand!

What is Snow Fungus? 

It is technically a fungus that grows on dead bark or tree stumps just like wood ear fungus. 

Snow fungus or silver ear, snow ear or white wood ear is known as Tremella fuciformis and yes, it is an edible fungus. The pleasanter term is mushroom if that makes you feel better. As most mushrooms go, they contain vitamin D, zinc, calcium, and folate. 

snow fungusBenefits of Snow Fungus

Snow fungus is said to have anti-ageing effects due to the presence of superoxide dismutase, an enzyme that acts as a potent antioxidant throughout the body, particularly in the skin. It is best known in TCM for nourishing the lungs and we know how important this fact is right now when we are all in the midst of a pandemic. And snow fungus is suitable for older people too.

According to Ping Ming Health,

"Snow fungus has traditionally been used in Chinese medicine as a potent Jing and Qi tonic for thousands of years. It is believed to tonify the lungs, kidneys, heart, brain, stomach, and acts as a powerful tonic for the immune system. Snow fungus has been clinically used to help clear heat and dryness, replenish fluids in the body (Yin deficiency), treat chest congestion, asthma, constipation, balance blood sugar levels and cholesterol (reduces LDL), and lower inflammation." It goes on to say that for these reasons, snow fungus is suitable for people who have a chronic cough, dry cough without phlegm, dry skin, constipation and smokers too.

Generally, eating snow fungus helps the kidneys, lungs, stomach and heart and treats high blood pressure. If you're a woman, eating snow fungus is a beauty regime must-have and rightly so because anything that helps your lungs definitely will give you a clear and lustrous complexion! 

snow fungus dessert recipe
Snow fungus dessert for lung health 



Snow Fungus Dessert Recipe (serves 4 people easily) 
  • 1 piece or 30gm dried snow fungus
  • 6-8 dried red dates, remove stones
  • 2 tablespoons goji berries
  • 2 tablespoons dried longans
  • Rock sugar (to taste)
  • Water 

You can make this dessert easily in 30 minutes. First, you need to soak the snow fungus until it expands. Next, snip off the tough "stem" at the bottom of the fungus and cut the fungus or tear it into smaller pieces. Put these into a pot - I used my favourite black clay pot with water and turn on the heat. Let it come to a boil. 


snow fungus dessert




Once it has come to a boil, add some rock sugar and sugarcane sugar. After that add in dried longans (that you have soaked for a while to rehydrate) and dried red dates. Simmer this on low fire for 15 minutes. 

Finally, add in the goji berries and let them simmer for another 2-3 minutes. (If you put in your goji berries too early, they'd soften and break.) Turn off fire and your dessert is ready. Serve warm. 

Another variation of this dessert is to cook it with pear that you have cubed. You can also add peach gum too as another variation.

Keep the leftover in the fridge and drink chilled the next day. Or if you're like me, just warm up the leftover on the stove before consuming. I prefer my dessert warm and taken at tea time or after dinner.

Apparently, some blogs recommend cooking snow fungus until it becomes gelatinous. And others have said that there are generally 2 types of snow fungus - the crunchy type and the gelatinous type. I have yet to confirm this with the Chinese medical hall so I am not sure of this fact. Anyway, the one that I bought was from the supermarket so there's simply no telling what type it is until I cooked it. It turned out to be crunchy but it was OK for me as I like my snow fungus crunchy. 

How do you like yours? Crunchy or soft and mushy? Let me know in the comments. 

Savoury Snow Fungus Soup

When I was growing up, my dad used to boil snow fungus soup with pork or chicken and dried red dates and goji berries. This made for a savoury soup but I wasn't a big fan of gelatinous chicken soup! I also recall that my dad would use the slow cooker and boil the snow fungus for at least 6 hours so maybe that turned the snow fungus into mush! 


Here's A Tip 
Here's a tip I recently learnt from watching Youtube - sprinkle some flour over your red dates and goji berries when you wash them. The flour helps clean your herbs more thoroughly. Remember to rinse them well after! This helps me use up flour that's expired! (I have grand dreams of baking but forget half the time and my flour sits around, expired. Now I have some use for the expired flour.)













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most