Skip to main content

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak. 

The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states. 

Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea. 

This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to the sea and take their snapshots. 

When I am back to Banting, my younger sis and I will drive to Tanjung Sepat. It's about 30 minutes from Banting and while we sometimes head there for a seafood lunch or have some of the local pau from Mr Black (honestly, it's just OK not something you want to drive 30 minutes for), I often go to Tanjung Sepat to buy the local produce in the local shop before the man-made bridge. 

This shop caters to tourists but they have some affordable dried seafood such as ikan bilis, dried prawns, fish crackers, even locally produced coffee (made with locally grown coffee beans). I find the prices generally all right so I will stock up on sunflower seeds, ikan bilis powder, etc. 

The next thing I like to do is walk over to the chatty lady opposite the shop. She comes with her push cart and sells freshly squeezed dragon fruit juice, passion fruit juice and kedondong juice. They're chilled and such thirst-quenchers for hot days (and it seems every time I am back, it is blazing hot). I remark to my sis that I bring the sun with me! 

The same lady also sells freshly made fish balls which you can eat as a snack, right then and there! They're bouncy and soft and full of fish flavour. 

My sis also buys kuih ros, kuih bahalu and vegan-friendly pumpkin crackers from the same lady.  

After this shopping spree, we would head to the Gano Farm just down the road. Everything in Tanjung Sepat is just around this village area since it's just a small place with a lot of agriculture and fishing. 

The Gano Farm is a mushroom farm that sells all kinds of mushrooms, some fresh, others dried such as fresh oyster mushrooms, fresh lions' mane mushroom and fresh wood ear fungus (grown in-house). 

When I was there last month, they were selling the highly sought after Tiger Milk mushroom in capsule form. Tiger Milk mushroom became highly popular during the pandemic as it is touted to help you regain your energy post-covid and improve your lungs. By the way, this mushroom is a Malaysian agricultural product. 

I discovered this mushroom thanks to my cousin and my aunt. My cousin was feeling out of sorts and out of breath after contracting covid and her mum (my aunt) brewed this as a tea to boost her lung power. Perhaps I should introduce Huang Qi instead to her! Tiger Milk mushroom slices or powder isn't cheap. Driven by claims and popularity during covid, it is now similar to that other popular mushroom - Ling zhi! 

Anyway, one of the products I bought at the Gano Farm is the wild astralagus slices or Huang Qi. I love browsing in herbal shops and discovering herbs I don't know about. 

Huang Qi is one of those herbs that I have heard about as part of a herb concoction. I never really paid attention to it as a single, stand-alone herb. 

As it turns out, Huang Qi or Astralagus or Milk Vetch is a herb that is known in the East and West. Milk Vetch capsules are sold everywhere. 

But I'd rather make my own herbal tea from the sliced Astralagus. I'm a little skeptical about the claims about it being "wild" though. I suspect it could be just harvested from someone's backyard and not grown in a structured row in some green house or demarcated land. 

Astralagus is quite a powerhouse with a plethora of goodness! 


As a root used in TCM for more than 2000 years, it is used for upper respiratory infections, hay fever, asthma, chronic fatigue syndrome, and chronic kidney disease. It boosts the immune system. It can also be used on the skin to heal wounds.

The National Health Centre for Complementary and Integrative Medicine says that: "Patients with nephrotic syndrome (health problems related to kidney damage) are susceptible to infections. A 2013 research review found that taking astragalus may be associated with a lower risk of upper respiratory tract infections in children with nephrotic syndrome than prednisone treatment alone. However, the review concluded the studies were of low quality."

The root is a tonic herb for Qi deficiency where it helps to nourish Qi and blood. It is warm in nature and thus helpful for people with Yin Excess or Yang Deficiency. It detoxifies while tonifies and is particularly useful to the Lung, Liver and Speen.

According to this website, Astragalus Root can be used for Blood Deficiency as it can supplement blood by tonifying qi and nourishing blood. It can be used to treat iron deficiency, low blood pressure and low blood sugar. It is also used for difficult urination. It also tackles sores and ulcers and dispels toxins. Huang Qi also widens blood vessels and increases the amount of blood pumped from your heart.

Taking Huang Qi or Astralagus helps boost the immunity because it increases the white blood cells or leukocytes. White blood cells which account for just 1% of your blood help to protect against bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Think of leukocytes as your personal army - soldiers that help you defend you against all the bad stuff like bacteria, viruses and parasites.

US researchers have looked at astragalus as a possible treatment for people whose immune systems have been weakened by chemotherapy or radiation. 

To prepare this as a tea, just put a tablespoon of the Astralagus slices into a pot with 500ml of water. Bring it to boil on the stove and then turn the heat down to a simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the fire, put the lid on the pot and let it sit and brew in its own heat for 30 minutes. Drink warm.

It has a mild woody taste without much flavour. I have experienced a lot more urination when I drink this which I guess is the detoxification happening which is good. I have been imbibing this once a week and I feel generally better the next day (maybe all that detoxification is happening).

I bought Huang Qi from Tanjung Sepat at RM16 (US$ 3.60) for a small jar of sliced and dried roots. Ask your herbalist for this herb.

I like herbs that are tonifying and easy to brew as a tea. Try this herb and let me know what you like about it. It's pleasant enough to drink twice weekly (as with everything and every herb, don't overdo it just because it is good for you).












 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal