Friday, November 03, 2006
Corn, Carrot and Dried Oyster Soup
This week, I made a super easy soup. This soup is beautifully delicious and soothing because of the natural sweetness of corn and carrot. Dried oysters are added to give more oomph or body to the soup. Carrots are a good source of betacarotene and good for the eyes. Definitely a soup for people who often work in front of computers. Dried oysters help increase milk in nursing mothers and is a blood tonic for those suffering from anaemia.
To make this soup, you will need the following:
3 chicken carcasses
10 dried oysters, soaked and softened in water
1-2 whole corn, washed and cut into large segments
1 large carrot, washed, deskinned and chopped into large chunks
5 - 7 dried red dates to harmonize and balance the soup
1. Bring a pot of water to boil, around 1.5 liters.
2. When the water starts to boil, put all the ingredients in.
3. Let it boil furiously for 10 minutes.
4. Turn fire down low, place cover on pot and let soup simmer for 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours, add 3 teaspoons of salt and some pepper. You don't need to add sugar as the soup is naturally sweet!
6. Serve hot.