Skip to main content

Papaya and Almond Dessert for Nourishing Lungs

Today I looked up a recipe for nourishing lungs and found this simple dessert soup. I’ve been feeling out of sorts for the past two days, itchy throat, blocked and stuffed nose and sniffles all about. These symptoms indicate that my lungs were weak and if you have problems with your lungs, you will also have constipation because the nose, lungs and large intestine are interconnected, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine.

You can use acupressure to relieve the stuffed nose, like I did. Press with your fingers both sides of your nose, on your cheeks. You can also press on the ‘third eye’, the area between your eye brows. Or press both sides of your nostrils, near your eye area. These will help clear your sinus a bit or at least allow you to breathe easier. The other point is behind your head, near your ears. Feel for a soft spot on both your left and right and press to get rid of the stuffy nose. You can also massage your jawline to stimulate the lymph glands so they can work overtime to help fight your flu.

Aside the above, you can also try making yourself a sweet soup. It’s of course better to prevent rather than cure – prevention means one sweet soup per week or at least nourishing soups 2 to 3 times a week. But the past week has been hectic for me so I guess that’s the reason I’m feeling a bit out of sorts.

On with this dessert soup… Anything that’s good for the lungs also helps maintain a clear complexion. Clear skin means that your toxins are regularly flushed out and the organ in charge of doing this is the Large Intestine and the Lungs. So it’s a no-brainer that if you have good skin, your lungs and large intestine must be in good working order!

You’ll need:

* 1 small, ripe papaya (peeled and cut into cubes)
* 2-3 pieces of white fungus (soaked in water, drained and torn into small pieces)
* 4 dried red dates (deseeded)
* 1 tablespoon of bitter almonds
* 1 tablespoon of sweet almonds
* 1 tablespoon rock sugar
* 1 liter water

Place all above ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover tightly and simmer for an hour. Serve warm. (Remember to eat the ingredients too.) You can also stew this in a crockpot if you have one.

Note: Bitter and sweet almonds can be bought at any Chinese herbalist cheaply. Although beneficial for your lungs, do not use too much of either as almonds can be toxic (even regular whole almonds shouldn’t be eaten too many either).

White fungus is naturally good for the lungs. White fungus is an ingredient that can be used either in sweet dessert or savoury soups in Chinese cooking. A little goes a long way because the fungus starts expanding when soaked in water. Get the best, freshest dried white fungus you can buy. Papaya is also another ingredient which is often used in Chinese soups – both sweet and savoury recipes feature this humble tropical fruit.

Comments

cheryl said…
I used to eat this kind of soup at Pearl City (a huge yam cha restaurant) when I lived in Hong Kong many years ago. They served it in a large sealed bowl after it had been steamed for a long time. Your version is much easier! Thank you! I love your blog!
Crys said…
I am in chinese medical school and we have to create a dish using chinese herbs...
I looked at your recipe and want to share it with my school.
bai mu er (white fungus)
hong zao or could use da zao (dates)
tao ren (bitter almonds)
Papaya,
xylotol instead of rock sugar as my fellow students aren't fond of sugars.
I made a amazing bai mu er pudding 2 weeks ago if you would like the recipe let me know.
I'll let you know how everyone liked yours.
thanks for your idea
Ashley
Anonymous said…
Thank you, I made this soup this weekend. It was yummy. Thank you for the soup recipes, it's so much better than just making up quantities myself.
Krista Goon said…
Hi Cheryl: Thank you for your compliments. You are making me blush! I hope you tried to make my version.
Krista Goon said…
Hi Crys:
Hoped you had good results while making this sweet soup! Yes, please. Let me know your bai mu er pudding too. ;-)
Krista Goon said…
Hi Anonymous: Great to hear that. If you come across any TCM recipe, please share too. We can all learn from each other.
Anonymous said…
May I know the Bitter almond & Sweet almond is in powder form or nuts ?
Krista Goon said…
Hi Anonymous

The bitter and sweet almonds are in nut form. You can get them at any Chinese herbalist store.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most