I got this recipe from somewhere but I cannot remember where but it was given as Maryann's recipe. So Maryann, thanks to you, I am sharing this soup recipe with everyone here. It's good for breastfeeding moms as papaya seems to increase lactation.
Maryann’s Papaya Soup
4 skinless chicken thighs
1 unripe hard papaya (about 400g)
4 shallots (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (sliced)
10 white peppercorns
1 piece of ginger (about 5cm long)
2 ½ litres of boiling water
½ Tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp chopped Chinese parsley or spring onion (optional)
1. Clean and cut each chicken thighs into two.
2. Peel the papaya, take out the seeds and cut the fruit into big chunks.
3. Do not cut the ginger, but pound it slightly.
4. Heat the pot with oil, add ginger, fry for 3 minutes. Add shallots and garlic, fry for another minute, then add the chicken pieces and fry for 3 minutes. Add the boiling water.
5. Add the papaya and whole white peppercorns to the soup and boil it over low heat for at least 1 hour.
6. Add salt to taste just before serving. Sprinkle chopped Chinese parsley or spring onion on top of the soup.
1. If you are using a slow cooker, put only 2 litres of boiling water and cook it for at least 3 hours.
2. Skim off oil on top of the soup before serving.
3. Pork ribs or fish can also be used instead of chicken.
4. Papaya soup is very nutritious and is especially good for breastfeeding mothers.
5. For vegetarians, take out the meat and substitute with 500g raw peanuts.