Skip to main content

Fresh Cordycep, Medlar Seeds & Honey Date Soup

I bought some fresh cordyceps from the Lip Sin market just last Friday and asked the vegetable lady how to cook it.

I remember clearly the last time I cooked this fresh cordyceps - I went to the Chinese herbalist and got a packet of prepacked herbs to add to the fresh cordyceps. It made a lovely soup.

This time though I wanted to try something else. My vegetable lady told me that it's also good to boil fresh cordyceps with medlar seeds/wolfberry seeds and honey dates.

And I, being the adventurous sort, never say no to a new soup recipe. Yum!

Luckily I had some honey dates in my fridge as well as some leftover medlar seeds. (It's good to stock up on herbs - buy a little of everything and store in jars in the fridge. On any good day, I have dang gui, red dates, honey dates, tao ren, medlar seeds and dried longan which I can use to make anything from soup to sweet dessert! It's my stockpile of Chinese herbs... which is very important, well to me anyway!)

I also had some chicken feet, besides the basic pork bones so I blanched them too.

In a pot of boiling water, add the blanched pork bones and chicken feet together with some fresh cordyceps, a handful of medlar seeds (soaked to re-hydrate) and 3 honey dates. Someone once asked me how much of water is needed for soups and I go for at least 1.5 liters of water. This feeds me and my husband comfortably for 2 meals.

Clockwise from top: honey dates, medlar seeds & fresh cordyceps

Boil on high for 10 minutes, uncovered. Then cover with lid, turn heat down to very low and simmer for 2 hours. Season to taste with salt when it is almost done. Let the soup "sit" to develop flavour for about an hour before you serve. I usually boil the soup around mid-afternoon, 4pm or so and once it's ready by 6pm, I let it 'rest' until 7pm before dinner is served.

In some soups, I add a teaspoon of sugar to balance the saltiness but in this soup, I refrain because the honey dates lend a natural sweetness. Honey dates are sweet so don't go adding anything but salt.

If you cook soups with chicken feet (which is really a favourite with me), remember to scoop off the oil which floats to the top of the soup. Chicken feet are good for the skin as it contains collagen but it is also very oily.

I'll post another recipe on how to cook chicken feet as a main dish later on.... as you can see, I am a big fan of chicken feet (which are really cheap and nutritious). I'm Cantonese, what can I say! I like all those things which people look upon with horror such as pig liver, pig blood, duck blood, chicken feet, chicken intestines, duck tongues and etc. OK, maybe I'm old school but I do so love the dracula stuff!

Until then, try out this soup and let me know if you like it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love your blog--and cooking with herbs. I definitely would love to see more recipes for regular dishes, not just herb soups. I am an acupuncture student in the US and love experimenting with the herbs I learn about! Outside of the vote for more regular food recipes, I would love if you had a RSS feed so I would just know when you have an new entry.

Thanks so much for the great food ideas!
Anonymous said…
BTW, How much are fresh cordyceps in your area? I don't think we would ever see fresh cordyceps around here--they usually only come dried and with a hefty price tag! Look forward to more posts!
Krista Goon said…
Hi Anonymous: Hey, thanks for dropping by...all the way from the US. ;-) There really aren't boundaries in this world any more. You can subscribe using the RSS feed that's in your browser bar. Let me see if Blogspot allows the other type of feed, feed via email direct into your inbox. Thanks for the idea. Much appreciated.
Krista Goon said…
Oh fresh cordyceps are cheap in my area. A small packet enough for 2 (that's me and my husband) costs only RM2 which is peanuts in US Dollars.
Tastes of Home said…
I absolutely love cantonese soups too!!! this is a great idea! thanks :)

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most