Skip to main content

Grandma's Soups

I was away for a while because my paternal grandmother passed away on 2 February.

We were busy with the funeral a week before Chinese New Year.

Technically speaking, this year I am not really allowed to celebrate the Lunar New Year or give angpows. Of course the funeral director says that as a grand-daughter who has married, I am "following" my husband so I am allowed to celebrate.

I couldn't. So it was a low-key Lunar New Year for me. You know how it is when someone you love passes away. Who would be in the mood to celebrate?

My grandma was all of 95 and had been rather sickly, refusing to eat. My aunts were perplexed. They finally resorted to using a syringe to feed her porridge.

She had been bedridden for sometime now but we always thought, nah, Grandma will always be around. She couldn't recognize anyone - not her children or her grandchildren - but she was always that unifying force, someone who made us all return to the big old house again and again. Like a light, she was Grandma.

And Grandma decided that she had had enough of living.

On 2 February, she breathed her last in the wee hours of a Saturday morning at the Penang General Hospital. 

I managed to see her the night before, but I could not hold back my tears. She had difficulty breathing. In fact she seemed like she was gasping for air even with the respirator switched on. 

This was my Grandma, the one who instilled in me the love of soups.

She was the one who taught me how to love and enjoy soups. 

She made soups the old-fashioned way, on a charcoal brazier, fanning charcoal so that the embers would gently simmer the soup. 

I often have childhood memories of waking up to the fragrance of soups especially when we visited her each school holiday. 

My Grandma cooked Toi Shan and Cantonese dishes with aplomb. She made the best salted steamed chicken but it was her soups which I find truly comforting.

When I was in university, I would often go back to the big old house on weekends and there'll always be soup in the kitchen. Even if there wasn't any more food or dishes on the dining table, I can be sure there'd be a pot of soup in the kitchen.

"Yum tong" was a catchword in our family. 

Just lift the lid and inhale the soupy goodness. 

A bowl of soup would make me a happy girl.

That is why this blog means a lot to me. It isn't just about soups as food, it is about soups as a memory and a way to remember family. 

A bowl of Grandma's soup made life bearable, even if you were hungry for rice.

A bowl of soup spelled utter bliss and comfort.

A bowl of soup represented the love that us stoic Chinese do not know how to express. (We're getting better at this, this generation of ours.)

A bowl of soup at the end of a work day, no matter how tiring, would lift the spirits and satisfy the tummy.

That is why this is a tradition I continue till this day. That is the reason why Soup Queen blogs about soups all the time. 

It's my heritage.








Comments

LunaMoonbeam said…
<3 My heart goes out to you. This is a beautiful post. Keep cooking your soup - she will live on, in your kitchen.

Thank you for sharing.
Zoe said…
I'm sorry to read about your grandma's departure. Nice that you will always remember her with your soup cooking.
What's Baking?? said…
Condolence to you and family for your loss. I'm sure her legacy lives on through her children and grandchildren. Take care.
Anonymous said…
Good Grandparents - the uniting force that brings a family together :)

Since birth, only my paternal grandma was alive. Lost her to a cruel stroke before cny too. Things are not the same with her passing.

Great post of urs and I love home cooked soup too. Keep ur post coming.
JasLee said…
just stumbled on your soup blog today. sorry to hear of your grandma (although more than a year along). i lost my grandma 14 years ago but she left me a legacy of love in Cantonese soups. i hope that you would keep u the soup blog posts. it's something that i didn't get to learn from my gran before she passed on

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most