Skip to main content

Hair Darkening Tea

I don't know if I mentioned this but the past few months I have been experiencing some hair issues.

Granted, I have never had long hair - my hair is always above the shoulders. The only time I remember having really long hair was in my campus days. I had hair past my shoulder. After that, I have always worn my hair short and fuss-free (yes, if you read this blog long enough, you know I like things to be practical and easy).

 It could be stress or it could be hormonal.

After all I am 40 this year.

I think things change inside a woman's body when she hits the big 40.

On top of that, I have been stressed with a lot of things - some fun, some not so!

I was the head planner/tourist guide for my parents and sis when we went to Hong Kong for a week (and I was so majorly stressed that I started having nose bleeds in HK which scared the life out of me. I never have nose bleeds). I blamed it on the crazy hot summer weather of Hong Kong.

And then when I got back, I was back doing work - website projects, talking to partners, talking to clients, talking to everyone.

And then I volunteered myself to help facilitate a Lean In forum organized by the Penang State Government and that again threw me into a whirlwind of meetings, preparation and stuff.

To cap it off,  when we get busy, I skip cooking (also because I have no time to go the market to get fresh food) and we eat out.

Eating out in Penang is easy - sometimes TOO easy as food is plentiful and good (but not necessarily inexpensive). And sad to say, many eating outlets in Penang resort to using MSG to make their food tasty. I think all these - eating out, stress, sleeping late etc. did take its toll on me. Or rather my hair!

I got scared when hairs started falling out when I brushed my hair; hair started falling out when I shampooed my hair and even when I ran my fingers through my hair, hairs would also start dropping! It was worrying!

Initially I thought it was due to my new shampoo - I decided to buy an organic, sulfate-free aloe vera shampoo. I doubt it was the shampoo's fault but hey, I was looking for the culprit. In the end, I realized that it was my health that caused the hair fall.

It was scary I can tell you. The more worried I was, the more hair would drop.

I felt my hair thinning considerably. Though I have never been vain or super conscious about my hair, I started paying attention.

I also thought maybe it was the henna dye that caused my hair loss. I did read that henna could do the reverse - instead of helping hair grow lustrous and shiny, it could also cause hair to drop!

In the end, I decided I had to do something. I started to read up on the relationship between inner health and outer appearance. I always believe that the problems we see on our bodies is a reflection of what's going on inside our bodies.

While I could have gone and bought an anti-hair fall shampoo, that would be just a "bandage" - a temporary cure for what could be an insidious problem.

Hair that grows on our head is a reflection of our kidney (and to some extent, liver health).

If you wanted to improve hair growth or help your hair, you'd be better off eating foods that helped your kidney. Kidneys can be helped with black coloured foods such as black sesame seeds, black beans, black fungus, black rice etc. Apparently these foods nourish the kidney.

I also started reading up on herbs. One herb which kept coming up was He Shou Wu, which is the root of a plant called Chinese Knotweed or Polygonum multiflorum. Another name for this herb is called Fo-Ti though there really isn't any herb by that name (Fo-Ti is a supposed concocted Western name for this herb).

He Shou Wu seemed like a magical herb which is touted to help with anti-aging, reversing grey hair to black and can treat baldness or hair loss. It is also known as a longevity herb as it is claimed that a man who used the herb in China lived to 197 years old!

Other than that, He Shou Wu tonifies Kidney and Liver functions, improves Kidney essence, improves youthfulness and helps strengthen lower back and knees. (You can read more and find out the interesting studies done with this herb at http://www.naturalnews.com/026786_he_shou_wu_herb_liver.html)

It is also called Fleeceflower Root (info from my Eu Yan Sang herb book). Good quality shou wu is "hard, powdery, blackish outside but reddish brown inside, with cloud like pattern". It is grown in Guangdong Province and the root is harvested in spring. This is a bitter, sweet, astringent and slightly warm herb which influences the liver and kidney.

The book further advised that 20 gm is to be used each time.

It also notes that the herb is commonly processed by steaming with black beans and rice wine to enhance its properties especially for helping with graying hair. Unprocessed shou wu does not tonify but can relieve constipation and skin inflammation. (I forgot to ask my herbalist how unprocessed shou wu looks like! Must remember to ask the next round!)

The concentrate of He Shou Wu is used to treat high cholesterol problems.

Anyway, this Eu Yan Sang herb book offers 2 recipes using Shou Wu.

The first recipe is for strengthening the lower back and knees. To make this savoury soup, use shou wu root (30gm), lycium berries (20gm), achyrantes root (20gm) and eucommia bark (20g) and double-boil with 1 whole pigeon.

For skin problems, boil unprocessed shou wu (30gm) with self heal (60gm), licorice root (20gm) to make a herbal tea. Sweeten with cane sugar.

After reading so much about this herb,  I went to the market and asked for this herb at my regular herbalist. The young man weighed out about 100 gm of the dried root slices and told me to boil it with dried longans and black dates. (Shou Wu is quite reasonably priced. I paid about RM5 for the Shou Wu which can be used in 5 separate decoctions.)

Dried longans, says he, improves blood circulation. So that was how I simmered up a tea with these 3 ingredients in my trusty claypot. I simmered it for about 30 minutes and drank it as a warm tea, unsweetened (the dried longans gave the tea a briefest tinge of sweetness).

This herb is a mild tonic so it was all right downing 2 mugs of the tea.

He Shou Wu herb has a light, woody fragrance too.

But you must be asking "Did it help prevent hair loss or hair fall?" Actually yes.

But I also drank Shou Wu Chih for a week (this is how my herbal experiments go haha) but the Shou Wu Chih is coming right up as another post. So wait for that and that also gets quite interesting.

After drinking this herbal tea twice in the second week (I drank Shou Wu Chih in the first week), I realized my hair fall lessened. I was delirious with joy. See, little things like these made me so happy.
The combination of the Shou Wu tea and the Shou Wu Chih (or Shou Wu Essence) also made me more energetic, less fatigued and more alert.

It wasn't just me - even Nic felt that drinking Shou Wu did improve his energy levels and he wasn't even having hair loss issues.

The other question is, has my hair darkened? I can't say for sure because I do go to my regular Ayurvedic salon to get my hair dyed with henna on a monthly basis (or every 5 weeks, if I totally forget). If my hair has fewer white hairs, that would be a bonus.

As it is, I am just happy that my hair is no longer falling like crazy. However, I also found another herb which helps with hair too. Stay tuned to find out about this other fabulous and inexpensive herb.

After 30 minutes of gentle simmering in a claypot, this is how the Shou Wu tea looks like.
I stored the tea in a thermos flask to keep it warm. 





Clockwise from left: Shou Wu slices, dried longan & dried black dates. Did you know that black dates are the same fruit like red dates? The difference in processing makes the dates either red or black! 




See the reddish brown Shou Wu slices? It smells quite fragrant too uncooked. Store the slices in the refrigerator if unused. In fact, I store all my dried herbs in the fridge. Herbs get mouldy if left out in the open especially in our Malaysian weather!
Brownish Black 882 - Bigen Speedy Hair Color Conditioner
Dabur Vatika Coconut Enriched Hair Oil 300mL
Coconut Oil Book Package: The Coconut Oil Handbook & The Coconut Oil Skin and Hair Care Guide


Comments

coralcrue said…
we use reetha, shikakai here in india. Also indigo leaf powder to tone our hair and darken it. Rosemary herbal oil is also great for hair. Hope you have solved your hair woes. take care
Anonymous said…
Hi

Just for your info.. Are you using black henna to dye your hair? .check it out...in UK it is illegal to sell black henna...(black henna is not natural).. Black henna cause health problems.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most