Skip to main content

I Used To Hate Cilantro...



Do you like cilantro or coriander? Most people hate this herb because it is pungent. And most people mistake this herb for parsley.

The tiny sprouts of this herb are usually served as a garnish on top of steamed chicken, Cantonese-style. I never found out that this was cilantro until I asked my vegetable vendor in the market. 

When I was young, I hated the smell of coriander. It seemed too strong, too pungent. It smelled a bit like bugs. 

But then it seems our taste buds change as we grow older. 

I started to like coriander. There are times that I actually craved coriander. I'd go to the fridge and pull out a bunch and start eating them!

I believe I was lacking iron so my body told me to go get some iron! 

Coriander to me is the leaves of the herb. Another manifestation of coriander is coriander seeds or biji ketumbar (in Malay language) which you probably use if you cook curries or grind your own spices. 

I use ground coriander as a spice when I cook curries. The dried spice is a little different from the fresh herb. 

You can read all about coriander's benefits  but what I found most interesting is that coriander is a heavy metal detoxifier. It gets rid of mercury in your body. 

Another key benefit to cilantro is its ability to prevent hair loss and encourage hair to grow! (Which I like a lot as sometimes, I lose a lot of hair!) 

"Cilantro juice is a wonderful remedy for promoting new hair growth and combating hair loss as it contains essential vitamins and proteins which help in hair growth. You can make a paste from fresh cilantro leaves using few drops of water and extracting its juice. Apply this on your scalp for an hour before shampooing. This pack should be used twice a week for 2 to 3 weeks to get effective results. Alternatively, you can infuse your hair oil with a powder made from cilantro seeds while massaging your hair. You can also prepare a hair rinse by boiling a bunch of cilantro leaves in water and cooling it." - says this article. 


It's also high in iron which means women should really incorporate more cilantro in their diets.

So one of the easiest ways that I eat cilantro is to make a salad. This is my go-to salad for days when it's humid and hot and I don't have much of an appetite.

Do try out this salad and tell me how it goes.


Cilantro Salad

  • 1 ripe tomato, cubed 
  • 1 large bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped roughly
  • half an onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 bird's eye chilli, chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
  • 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • Juice from 5 ripe limes 

Mix all the above in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve. It can be eaten on its own or served as a condiment with rice or taken with barbecued meats. It is excellent on its own but it also goes well with meats. 

If you have leftovers, make sure you drain out all the liquid from the salad before you keep it in an airtight container in the fridge otherwise your salad will be too soggy to eat. 

Bon appetit!


My cilantro salad that is great for a hot day! Perks up your appetite instantly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most