Skip to main content

Aloha and What A July!

I have been away for most of July. In fact, I think I spent only a week in Penang and the rest was out of Penang!

I was attending a two-week programme in Honolulu, Hawaii and that itself was such an amazing experience. This is what happens when you take a chance on yourself.

With some of my international friends from Asia Pacific at the East West Center in Hawaii


I had applied for the programme and strangely, had a strong feeling that I would get into it. Perhaps it was the universe prompting me to go out there and get out of my comfort zone and explore the world.

Long story short, I was accepted for the programme on scholarship and was the only person selected from Malaysia. That made me quite proud of myself! (For the whole story of how that happened, head on over to my other blog at Mayakirana.)

To get to Hawaii, I had to do a few things - apply for my US visa, get my own air tickets and prepare my action plan. Yes, all of us 16 participants from all over the Asia Pacific had to present our action plans for what we intended to do when we concluded the programme. The action plan could be something related to our businesses or it could be something we wanted to start.

There's nothing like a deadline to move me. And I adore working on tangible projects with deadlines.

For the longest time, I wanted to start a podcast. I've been an avid listener of American podcasts since 2010 - the first time I got my iPod which has since died on me. I got the iPod at Changi airport too and I recall how excited I was to finally get my own device to listen to podcasts. I like music but I liked podcasts more.

The Changing Faces 2019 programme spurred me to put this as an action plan. Starting a podcast was my 2020 project and I knew if I presented this plan and announced it to a bunch of people, I would certainly be held accountable and I would do this.

A friend of mine, Tse-Yi, has always known of my podcast dream. Whenever we email, she would ask how my project was going. Like many people, I had fears and doubts. I also didn't have a reason to get going. So I procrastinated for a long time (like 2 years?).

And now I have no reason to hem and haw anymore. I have officially announced this to the world at large that I am going to do this.

My fellow friends in this Changing Faces programme were supportive and can't wait for me to get the first episode on the air. Their encouragement was genuine; their excitement more so.

Even Liz, the programme coordinator, was telling me that I should dream bigger. Originally my idea was to cover Malaysia but she challenged me to go beyond - why not Asia?

"You're going to be the first anyway to focus on this area," she said.

As I started to think about this, I felt confident about the project. My review of the current field has shown me that there's a gap - there are very few podcasts by women for women and more so, by an Asian woman. I want to share the stories of success, challenges and pitfalls of Asian women who start, manage and sustain businesses.

I'm looking for the Asian woman who is keen to share her story with the world so that she can inspire other Asian women to look towards entrepreneurship as a means to an improved life. Over and over, we hear that economic advancement is the way forward for women.

Getting a job is one thing but starting a business is tough. But it's not impossible and some women have found the keys that unlock the doors of success.

I want these women to share their "keys" but more than keys, I want them to discuss what a business really takes. Running a business takes a lot of guts and it needs change and transformation on the part of the entrepreneur. For women especially, running a business means adding on more responsibilities to an already huge pile of work and priorities.

I believed that all these years, I have put into place the different foundations that eventually led me to this time of my life to do this.

I'm innately curious. I enjoy writing and speaking. I have written articles by interviewing people long before I decided to even start a podcast. I have networks that I can tap into, either to get interviewees or to get funding. I know enough about tech to get things figured out and I am in the web design industry so creating a website for my podcast will be manageable.

I also have business experience, running a web design business with Nic for the past 15 years. I have also mentored others and I am currently mentoring a group of women in business under our WomenBizSENSE Business Mentoring Programme.

And I believe I bring my unique voice and perspective to podcasting.

I always refer to my purpose for this podcast and my purpose has always been the same - I want to help more women inspire more women.

My work over the past 20 years or so has always been feminist and I am not ashamed of it. I have often believed that women need even more nudges, prodding and pushing to reach their potential.

If you had asked me a year ago how I was going to pull this off, I'd be stumped. I have no idea about the tech side of podcasting.

But today, I know the answer.

Like Liz says, we can figure it out.

Heck, I can figure it out. I can learn. More than that, I can enlist the help of others (by the way, I am looking for an intern and a podcast editor) and outsource the parts that I cannot or wouldn't be able to complete.

I can also tap into my invaluable network which is part of the value of being in a global programme such as Changing Faces. The programme connects us all to the cohorts before us and the rest of the East West Center alumni (the center will celebrate its 60th anniversary in 2020). That's the power of the network.

(By the way, do check out the East-West Center website. It has plenty of interesting programmes for everyone. And Hawaii is always a destination you can't say no to. It's simply magic.)

For funding, I'm currently sponsoring this before I go in search of sponsors and funders. My friends from the Changing Faces programme said that I should own my brand and have full control of this podcast before I even consider other sources of funding.

So there. That's my 2020 goal!

Any thoughts or comments?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal