Skip to main content

American Ginseng Soup with Pork Ribs For Stronger Constitution


 

I made American ginseng soup with pork ribs over the weekend since I had recently bought some herbs from my favourite herbalist in town, Veng Tatt Soon. 

Over the past few months, we have been making watercress soup with pork ribs and I was getting rather tired of that soup! However watercress soup is great for the lungs (especially if you are coughing, or a smoker or feeling heaty) and now what with the pandemic, it is simply one of the better ways to boost one's immunity. And unlike lotus root soup, you can freeze watercress soup without any change to the watercress texture. 

I usually make about 8 servings of soup in my stock pot. This means I can freeze the other portions for other days. So making soup on the weekend means I get to drink soup over the next 3 days at least. 

This packet of herbs consisted of: 

American ginseng (3.8gm), 
Bei Zi (12gm), 
Dang Shen (12gm), 
Solomon Seal or Yok Chok (19gm), 
Goji (12gm), 
Red Dates (38gm) and 
Licorice or Gan Cao (2gm). 

I looked at the weight of the American ginseng and felt that my soup wouldn't have much ginseng taste so I dug out my own stash of American ginseng from the fridge and added a few more slices! I like my soups to taste hearty and wholesome, not watered down. Also remember to remove the seeds from the red dates after you soak the herbs. I usually soak the herbs for 10 minutes to soften them. 

As usual, I'd blanch the pork ribs in boiling water but I recently saw a video where it is recommended that we put pork ribs into the water and bring the water to a boil. I must try this method the next time. 

Fill up your stock pot with at least 8 bowls of water. Bring water to a boil and add the rinsed herbs and blanched pork ribs. Boil over high heat for 10 minutes with the lid slightly open. Then cover the pot and lower heat so that it's a mere simmer. Simmer soup on low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours. When the soup is almost ready, season with salt to taste. Then turn off the heat and let the soup develop its flavour for the next 1 hour. 

If the soup is not hot when you're ready to serve it, just heat it up again. 

Herbal soups taste better when they develop their flavours in the fridge. I usually store my cooled soups in stainless steel containers in the freezer. 

This American ginseng soup helps to revitalise your energy and build up your constitution which just means keeps you healthy. If you need to enhance your memory and cognitive power, then American ginseng is the herb to take. 

No wonder students are usually fed American ginseng tea by their mothers during exam periods. (I personally had this tea a few times when I was a teenager. My late mother was a big believer in herbs and "pak kei, wong tong, kei chi" was her Cantonese mantra. When I was a child, my dad would boil peanut roots soup for my sisters and I as it is believed that peanut roots will make us grow taller! I am tall and I wonder if the peanut root soup actually did the trick.) 

The bioactive phytochemicals, ginsenoside saponins in American ginseng is what makes the herb effective as a brain booster. It also makes you calmer.

This article also says that American ginseng Panax quinquefolium was found to "exert/s antimicrobial effects against several pathogenic strains of bacteria."

It is also called American ginseng because it is found in the regions of North America - from Quebec to Manitoba in Canada to Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma in the United States with the greatest cultivation in Wisconsin. It is said that the Native Americans used the herb as a universal remedy for children and adults.

American ginseng is nourishing to the yin and tonifies the Qi unlike its yang counterpart in the Asian ginseng. It cools and moistens and suitable for the young, the harried and stressed city dweller and as such is used in cases of excess heat or dryness in the body. Says Elizabeth Girard, a TCM practitioner, “It’s just the best herb for your immune system, for really generating fluids in the lungs.”

Other ways of preparing American ginseng is to simmer a few slices of the dried herb for 30 minutes on low heat and drink it as a tea. 

So if you're feeling cranky or stressed, try American ginseng soup or even tea. 

Note: we're all back to lockdown mode in Malaysia as I write this on 25 May 2021. Today our covid cases hit 7000+ and at this rate, it's going to be a long while before we get back to "normal" mode. 

Working from home or even just watching the news can get to everyone. I know people are getting more and more irritated with an incompetent government (which I didn't vote for - the one I voted for got booted out due to a power struggle), rising covid cases, tanking economy and disrupted business. Right now, it's not just friends of friends who contract covid. It's people we actually know. It's that prevalent in the community now. 

So keep your spirits up and keep that immunity boosted with American ginseng. It's inexpensive and calms you down. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most