Skip to main content

Wind Heat Woes & Ear Ache!

Two days ago, I started having this annoying pain in my right ear. It was a sharp pain that didn't seem to get any better with massaging around the area. It was inside my ear and behind my ear. And I didn't know what it was. Did I have an ear infection? I haven't been going to the public swimming pool since the pandemic some 2.5 years ago. 

Then the right side of my body, right behind my armpit, had this weird sensation. It was not painful but it felt like I pulled a nerve. This morning, I woke up with my tongue in pain. The right side of my tongue! 

In short, I felt really uncomfortable. I wasn't ill but it's this pain here and there that got me irritated.

Since I do know a bit of TCM, I wanted to find out if I was heaty again. I am more prone to heat issues than cold. I get "hot" if I sleep too late (past one a.m), eat too much spicy food or fried foods, work too much or think too much. 

It wasn't heat but Wind-Heat. Wind Heat affects two major meridians - Gallbladder and Liver - as they both are related. The sides of your tongue from the TCM view represents your Liver and Gallbladder. No wonder I felt this dull pain in my tongue. 

The Gallbladder meridian runs along the side of the body, behind the armpit. This explained why I had this weird sensation behind my armpit. 

It also runs up the neck, behind the ears and ends at the crown of the head. 

Wind Heat if I recall correctly often makes itself felt around this time - July. Many years ago, I suffered Wind Heat - the works, cough, headache, and sore throat - while taking my parents on a trip to Hong Kong. I suffered like crazy because it was summer in Hong Kong and we were walking all over the city. 

I don't know how I managed to play tour guide and didn't collapse. I had coughing fits that weren't the phlegm sort - this was a dry hacking cough that made my eyes water! Since I was in Hong Kong, I bought herbal tea to soothe my throat and cough but what finally healed me was this one single capsule of cough medicine that I had brought along from Malaysia. The Hurix brand of cough capsule did heal me when all the chrysanthemum teas of Hong Kong couldn't! I was pleasantly surprised but thankful that it did the trick. I am not endorsing Hurix but it did work on me. 

But this round, I have even better healing methodology. I used my PVH healing wand to heal my Crown chakra, Throat chakra, Liver chakra and Gallbladder chakra. I even healed my Tongue chakra. For serious pain like this, healing is done every 2 hours until the pain subsides. 

I also added slices of dried Licorice (Gan Cao) into my Chinese tea as Gan Cao is helpful for the Liver and Kidney though beware, Gan Cao can speed your digestion and make you hungry after a while! 

Another thing I did was to massage the acupressure point Gallbladder 43 which is between the fourth and fifth toes on both feet. If you press a point and feel pain, keep massaging the point. I found it helpful as an additional way to speed up the elimination of Wind Heat.

I also decided to sweat it out by walking in the park for 30 minutes this evening. Sweating amidst the greenery made me feel better. 

I was wondering how the Wind-Heat invaded my body. I suspect it is all the work that I've been doing and not giving my body the rest it needs. Sometimes I need this kind of wake-up call to realize I need to take better care of myself. 

Have you encountered Wind Heat before? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most