Skip to main content

Drinking Ba Zhen Tang Again & More Hair Secrets!

Remember the last round where I mentioned I was having hair fall issues?

Well, I read through my blog and found out that I have been crazily suffering from this issue for a few years now. (This is why blogging not only serves as knowledge to others but also a reminder to myself each time I forget my health issues. I just comb through my own blog and find out stuff that I've forgotten!)

So in 2017, I was still having hair fall issues. I hated washing my hair because I'd get so depressed looking at the clump of hair at the drain cover. I would wash my hair every 2 days because I think over-washing the hair also could cause hair loss.

It didn't help that the weather in Malaysia is always hot and humid. My scalp would itch and sweat so that was also a reminder to wash my hair. I tried a few shampoos - from the expensive L'Occittane (which did nothing spectacular despite the price tag of RM80) to the commercial supermarket Rejoice (it gave me a clean scalp BUT I kept thinking of all the SLS in the shampoo).

I also tried chemical-free shampoos from Human Nature, a Philippine brand, but the clarifying range made my hair squeaky clean but still, the hairs kept falling.

I knew deep down that it was internal. It was the food. It probably was some imbalance somewhere inside me.

So this year, what with making resolutions to kickstart 2018, I gave myself the challenge to find out what the heck is wrong with my aptly named Project Hair Restoration.

Yes, I was going to uncover what rubbish was clogging up my system.

A few years back, I met a young Chinese physician/TCM practitioner when I brought Lauren, an Australian artist to this Chinese medical herbal shop in Paya Terubong. How I met Lauren was serendipity or maybe not.

(Lauren does botanical fine art and before she left, she even gave me the ginseng root she bought. She said she wouldn't be able to take the root back to Australia anyway and even if she did, she wouldn't know how to brew the concoction.)

Lauren was drawing pencil sketches of Chinese herbs in Penang. I met her when she was doing her herb research at Ren I Tang, a cafe/boutique hotel in Little India. We started talking as you know, I'm just curious why this ang moh was interested in herbs. As Nic is an artist and I'm a TCM fan, we had lots of things in common to chat about.

She also told us that the original folks who ran and managed Ren I Tang (which was really an old Chinese medical hall turned cafe/hotel) had moved their operations to Paya Terubong. She introduced us to Melissa, who was the daughter-in-law of the original owner. Melissa was also a TCM practitioner and spoke English and was helping Lauren identify herbs for her art project. At that time, Lauren was staying at Hotel Penaga which has offered her a studio to use (yes, right on the top floor of Hotel Penaga) as she was the artist in residence.

It was only later that I discovered the brand Ren I Tang (or Yin Oi Tong) is ancient. The medical hall has been existence since 1796!

Now if you live in Penang, you would have seen a few variations of the name. There's Nyin Oi Tong. Then there's this Yin Oi Tong. Apparently, there is no relationship between both (I asked my Chinese physician who is a direct descendant of one of the partners who owned the Yin Oi Tong circa 1786). Whether it is Ren I Tang or Yin Oi Tong, it is basically a generic name.

Lauren remarked that she had wanted to visit the Paya Terubong medical shop but she didn't have a car and she didn't know how the bus routes were like. We love taking friends around Penang and I told her that we could take her there in our car. She was thrilled and that's how we ended up at the Yin Oi Tong medical hall in Paya Terubong.

Of course, Lauren has since left Penang. I think we met her in 2012 and I can't believe it has taken me this long to blog about this adventure. But you see, one never quite pieces the jigsaw together until a much later date.

That's how I met Priscilla, my current TCM physician.

When I met her, I thought it was rather cool that she was a young sinseh. I've always met old sinsehs and many were gnarled men in their 70s at least. Here was a young woman in her 30s who didn't look like a sinseh but she was and she was also running her family business - selling Chinese herbs and pills. Her father was a sinseh and her sister-in-law Melissa is a sinseh too. 

I was so sick and tired of the hair loss that I burst out crying one day in front of Nic. My husband only sees me tear up when I'm upset with him so this was a totally new experience. I blurted out my worries and I adamantly told him that I was going to find out the root cause, once and for all and I was going to start with visiting a sinseh. 

That was my 2018 resolution among my many other resolutions. 

That was how I ended up WhatsApping Priscilla and telling her my woes. I told her I was going to visit her that week. And I did. 

Her shop is totally nondescript in a row of rather plain shops along Paya Terubong. She sat me down and felt my right and left pulse. She asked me to stick out my tongue. Asked me a few questions and then she said that I have a lot of wind issues. That was true. Even my reflexologist told me that I had a lot of "angin" or gassiness. 

Maybe it was stress or irregular meal times. Maybe it was both. I wasn't treating myself too well. I slept late. I worked a lot on the computer.

She also asked if I drank filtered water that wasn't boiled. I said yes. It seems filtered water is too cooling for women's constitutions. Nic laughed the idea off (well, not in front of her) but I said I was going to boil my drinking water from now on if that simple step helped me reduce gassiness. 

She prescribed me these tiny black pills. Said I was to take them twice a day, each time before meals. It was supposed to restore order to my stomach.

(I never drink ice water or ice-cold drinks. I never drink coffee. I hardly snack on junk food except on those days of PMS when I want a salty snack. I never have ice cubes in my freezer unless I am making soap! Yes, I need ice for the ice water bath when I make soaps.) 

As to my hair fall issues, she recommended that I brew Ba Zhen Tang. I always thought I drank enough of it monthly but she surprises me with 3 statements:

1. Ba Zhen Tang can be brewed and drunk weekly. 
2. Ba Zhen Tang can be brewed on its own without needing to add any meat/chicken or egg. 
3. Ba Zhen Tang can be imbibed by men without any harmful side effects so long as it is the second brew (after brewing the first time, the herbs can be re-used to brew the second time. This second - albeit more diluted version - is suitable for men)

The reason for hair fall, she says, is a blood issue. There's just not enough blood and the blood doesn't circulate. The best way to replenish blood is through drinking a weekly brew of Ba Zhen Tang. 

Won't I get heaty? I ask hesitantly. 

Power through it, she says confidently. 

Won't the Ba Zhen Tang be affected by the pills she gave me? Apparently it won't. 

As I write this, I've drunk my Ba Zhen Tang weekly thrice already. I brew it in my slow cooker on Auto for 4 hours. It's enough for 2 bowls. I drink one bowl before I sleep and keep the other in the fridge for the next day. 

My Ba Zhen Tang herbs. They look clean and fresh! 

A closer look at the Ba Zhen Tang herbs, in my metal colander. I give the herbs a quick rinse before putting them into the slow cooker. 


I don't throw out the herbs - I do a second, lighter brew by adding hot water to the same herbs in the slow cooker and brewing it on Auto for the next 8 hours (I just switch it on when I go to sleep). It's ready the next day for Nic. I usually store this second brew in a thermos flask so that Nic can drink it any time he likes. He finds it invigorating. He says it gives him more energy and he feels less fatigued even after late nights and doing work on the PC. 

I also find that I have more energy. Maybe it's all that Qi being powered up and blood being built up. 

After taking the pills too, my gassiness has reduced a lot. I used to burp a lot in the mornings but now that's a thing of the past. I am on my 5th bottle of the pills (each bottle lasts me a week only) so that's about 5 weeks of taking the pills.

I also noticed the lack of gassiness after my last 2 rounds of reflexology sessions which I am pleased about. 

While I am on these pills, I have cut out my regular vitamins C and cod liver oil capsules. 

My hair fall seems to have lessened. I am still monitoring the hairs on the drain cover after each shampooing. 

I am also using a rosemary shampoo from the Human Nature brand (yes, the same Philippine brand of non-chemical products) which I find has helped in a way too. Rosemary, after all, is known for helping with hair growth. This shampoo also is most suitable for my hair - it doesn't dry out my hair or scalp and it smells pleasant! I'm reordering my second bottle and topping it up with the rosemary conditioner too. 

I'll share more as I drink more Ba Zhen and see what happens.

Already I feel better - not sure if it's psychological or not. I feel more optimistic that my hair problem will disappear. I believe Project Hair Restoration is off to a good start, don't you think? 


Comments

Unknown said…
How's your Project Hair Restoration going in 2020? :)
Krista Goon said…
It's been going well. I have been drinking pat zhen soup every month without fail. And now I've even added something new - using shampoo bars that I made on my own with castor oil as one of its key ingredients.
jezze said…
Hi Ms. Does it help with the bazhen soup? Your hair project got better? Did you also change your sleeping habit? I had the same issue as you, few years dy, now I wash hair every 1.5 days cos 2 days too oily :-( so sad to see after every shower. Using homemade natual shampoo but not really helping, but look at the bright side, maybe if I use those with much SLS, by now I already botak. Lol... Look forward for your tips and sharing , if can. Thanks
jezze said…
I read your blog comparing your previous blog old picture and the latest picture you posted, your hair seems to be bit fuller than back then tho...
Krista Goon said…
I still wash my hair every 2 days but I now use my own homemade shampoo bar (it's like soap but for the hair which I made using a recipe from the Internet). I find my hair is better after using this shampoo bar and my scalp feels cleaner too. In fact, my husband says his hair is stronger and drops less now (he has been using this shampoo bar for 2 months now). The ba zhen does help in restoring my energy though I still sleep around midnight. I think maybe my hair was fuller back then as I was younger LOL. Have you been taking ba zhen soup?
jezze said…
Hi Krista, thank you for your reply. good to hear something work for you. May I ask if you sell the shampoo bar soap you using?? I would like to try too... thanks
Krista Goon said…
Hi Jezze - I will let you know once I make the 2nd batch of shampoo bars? Where are you located?
Anonymous said…
Hi Krista. How long do you brew Ba Zhen Tang? How many cups of water for a pack? I also wish to make some for myself. Thank you :)
Anonymous said…
Hi Krista, does it really need to be the second brew for men?
Krista Goon said…
I use my slow cooker and use the Auto function and brew it for 4 hours.
Krista Goon said…
Apparently the second brew is better (as it is more diluted) for men. I got this info from my TCM herbalist. Maybe she doesn't want me to waste the herbs! ;-) And gets me to maximize the herbs for a second brew.
Anonymous said…
Hi Krista, I having same hair fall problem. I have been consuming Ba Zhen Tang for some time but i drink it for my menstruation cramp issues. After going through your blog i found out that it help for hair fall problem too. Thanks for the info. By the way where I can purchase your homemade soap ya, I'm from Ipoh.
Krista Goon said…
Hi there! Yeah hair fall is no joke. Women especially get worried because hair is our crowning glory. Mine has been under control ever since I started drinking Ba Zhen Tang and I try my best to rest more and sleep more! Hair fall issues is related to the Kidney and Liver meridians so make sure you get lots of nourishment and eat good food that the Kidney and Liver meridians love. One herb I use is Gan Cao (Licorice). I add a few small slices to my Chinese tea. Look up Gan Cao and read about its benefits for the Liver and Kidneys. As for the soap, I haven't made any for a while now. Interesting that a lot of people have asked for the shampoo bars.

Popular posts from this blog

Astralagus Tea (Huang Qi) For Liver, Kidneys and Immunity

I recently bought a small container of wild astralagus slices when I was back home in Banting to visit my dad. There's really nothing much to do in Banting except spend time with my dad or take him out for breakfast of bak kut teh or nasi lemak.  The nearest and most interesting place is Tanjung Sepat which is a seaside village that has become rather prosperous due to the influx of local tourists from other parts of Selangor or even other states.  Many come to Tanjung Sepat for its fresh seafood and fish and the seafood restaurants are a big attraction. There's also a scenic spot called the Lovers' Bridge which in the 1990s was a rickety, almost falling down wooden bridge jutting out to sea.  This is where the fishing sampan or fishing boats would moor and have their catch hauled up to the shore. I am not sure if this bridge was demolished but the bridge is no longer there. A little further down is now a man-made cement bridge that juts out to sea. Tourists can walk out to

24 Herb Tea - Bitter, Foul-Tasting But Oh So Good For You!

Was out running a couple of errands this entire afternoon and ended up buying groceries at the nearby supermarket. If I had a choice I wouldn't go into this decade-old supermarket because it's small, cramped and you tend to knock into other shoppers with your trolley (yes, the aisles are that narrow). Nic and I figured that we might as well buy our groceries since we were in this vicinity and he did need some coffee. Finally we ended up with a trolley full of cheese, butter, coffee and noodles. Anyway, I was getting thirsty after all the errands and shopping. We decided to stop and have a drink at this stall which sells Chinese herbal tea. This uncle who mans it is actually a Hong Kong native who has been living in Malaysia for a long time. He drives a little white van which he parks at the corner of a junction and opens up for business. You see, he sells hot and cold Chinese herbal teas of all types - the kind that is slowly boiled and brewed. It's common to see Mal

Have You Seen Curry Leaf Berries?

Ripe berries or fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree.  This is a photo of the ripe fruits from my 9 foot curry leaf tree or known scientifically as  Murraya koenigii   . Yes, most curry leaf plants are about human height.  Mine is a bit special because when it was still a young sapling, I used a lot of my own homemade compost . It had so much of nutrients that it started growing taller and taller.  Right now, it is shading the compost pots!  Which means I am cooler when I stand under this tree to do my daily composting. You see how wonderful it all works out to be?  Because these berries attract the Asian koel (black birds with fiery red eyes which make the annoying loud "ku-yo, ku-yo" sounds), the curry leaf seeds get propagated everywhere.  Yet some drop right under the tree and start growing. I have a curry leaf sapling attack haha. I keep pulling the saplings up as there's just too many.  Besides throwing them into my curries (my most